Friday, December 10, 2010

In Memoriam to Grandma W.

My maternal grandmother died recently. I'm going to miss her.

She had flaws and imperfections. I do not want to ignore that entirely.

I think her grandkids had a significantly different experience of her than her own children. To us, she was loving and attentive and probably sober.

One of my good memories, was that she was in a way my first employer. She had a paper route and hired me as her assistant. It was a rural route covering several miles of dirt roads, delivering a free weekly paper. She did the actual driving, and I folded and bagged the papers and put them in the tubes.

In a way, she was what I wanted in a boss. She didn't micromanage and she didn't intrude on my thoughts with a lot of empty chatter.

On the other hand, she didn't wait to make sure my arm was back inside the van before driving to the next house.

No comments: